[plug] Debian distribution downgrade

Patrick Coleman blinken at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 09:02:48 WST 2006

On 3/16/06, Bret Busby <bret at busby.net> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Anne has told me that she believes that, somewhere out on the 'net, is a
> howto that describes how to do a distribution downgrade for Debian.
>
> My system shows that it is a combination of testing and unstable. I
> think it would be better either as testing, or as stable.
>
> Could someone please point me to a howto that describes how to do a
> distribution downgrade?

Hey,
Recently I had a crack a downgrading my Ubuntu install in an attempt
to un-break it (long story - see my other post). The page I found to
be helpful was

http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Debian/downgrade.html

This page also looks useful for your case:
http://www.crazysquirrel.com/computing/debian/downgrade.jspx

Also 'debian downgrade' in google will bring up a lot of helpful
mailing list posts.

Ubuntu is based heavily on debian, so the method should be exactly the
same. Note however that I havn't yet succeeded in fixing my system -
so I can't vouch for whether these instructions will or will not hose
your install.

Downgrading is also apparently not recommended (or something, I can't
remember where I saw it) by the Debian developers, but most people
agree that it's possible. I suggest that you make an image of the disk
(or otherwise back it up) before you start in case something goes
wrong.

Cheers,
Patrick
--