[plug] MySQL Server only half there

J Michael Gilks mike.gilks at westnet.com.au
Mon Mar 20 13:51:04 WST 2006

On Monday 20 March 2006 12:38, Chris Watt wrote:
> I've been reading the manuals and docs for about 2 days and still
> haven't found bits useful to me.  Thought I had but it was windows
> only, not applicable to unix/osx
>
> Can anyone point me to a useful article?

This should be followed after every new MySQL installation.
Includes setting passwords etc for the new accounts created during
installation.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/default-privileges.html

This section is all about users and passwords.
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/user-account-management.html

Also see if you can install MySQL Administrator from MySQL or phpMyAdmin to
give a GUI for management of your installation, but read the sections I have
highlighted to maintain security of the installation.

Hope this helps.

Love
Mike.