[plug] Strangely named duplicate icon in KDE with udev rules

Alex Nordstrom lx at se.linux.org
Mon Mar 20 15:18:49 WST 2006

I'm running an up-to-date installation of Debian Unstable.

I have an external HDD connected via USB. I have the following line
in /etc/udev/rules.d/010_local.rules:

BUS="scsi", SYSFS{model}="3A", SYSFS{vendor}="ST316002", KERNEL="sd*",
NAME="vantec", GROUP="plugdev"

If I boot up with the drive off or unplugged, everything works as
expected. However, if it's plugged in and powered on at boot-time, I
get an icon on my KDE desktop with the name " _ 	- ___(_" (that's
space, underscore, space, tab, dash, space, three underscores, open
parenthesis, underscore).

If this happens, the oddly named icon will point to /media/vantec, while
the normal "Vantec" link will point to /media/sda1.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/