[plug] Those Debianistas are going to crow ...

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Tue Mar 21 14:39:09 WST 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 11:07, simon wrote:
> Michael L. Benjamin (mike.benjamin at clarinet.com.au) wrote:
> >

> > The funniest part about this is no-one really knows how many of which
> > flavour of Linux
> > distribution actually exist... so the figures are undoubtedly bogus.
>
> No doubt - I think the Debian figure is elevated in this case because those
> guys are more likely to register with the counter :) We have a multitude of
> Redhat servers here, and I can guarantee noone has bothered with (or even
> knows about) this counter.
>
> Youll never get even vaguely accurate numbers until you put an 'ET phone home'
> prog in the installer of every distribution, and then everyone will be up in
> arms about privacy issues.
>
> There is one positive in this though - if we cant get accurate numbers,
> Microsoft have no chance, and are more likely to underestimate the threat that
> linux poses.

Perhaps if there was the introduction of a national computer census much
like the current census that covers people except this one is for
computers.

I'd imagine though there would be a lot of people who have trouble
understanding all the questions if they relate to operating systems.

regards,

Chris