[plug] iPod on Linux

Patrick Coleman blinken at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 16:18:18 WST 2006

On 3/22/06, Kirk Turner <gameldar at gmail.com> wrote:
> > try gtk-pod
>
> I've used gtk-pod in the past and it works well - but you need to do
> the ripping and encoding yourself (there is ac4 support through a flac
> extension from memory - its been a good year since I've use gtk-pod).
>
> The thing to be wary of is that iTunes and gtk-pod aren't exactly
> compatible - if you stick a gtk-pod modified ipod (database) back into
> iTunes it'll wipe your music on there

In my experience it wipes it anyway, whether gtkpod has been used or
not. It's done it to me twice, once on a gtkpod ipod and once on an
itunes ipod and it drives me nuts.

The first time I thought I must have clicked something without reading
it, but I was careful the second time and specifically clicked 'no' to
'Do you want to link your iPod against this computer' and it wiped it
anyway. Moral: Assume itunes will wipe your ipod next time you plug it
in, and carry a backup of your music with you when you go travelling.
Alternatively, use gtkpod :)

-Patrick
--
http://www.labyrinthdata.net.au