[plug] Squid Stability Issues

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Sun Mar 26 20:03:31 WST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-bounces at plug.org.au [mailto:plug-bounces at plug.org.au]On Behalf Of
Peter T Spicer-Wensley
Sent: Sunday, 26 March 2006 12:28
To: plug at plug.org.au
Subject: [plug] Squid Stability Issues

> Peace Pluggers!

> I am the network manager/ tech support/ LT coordinator at Swan View SHS.

> I have a query about the performance of Squid 2 on my Centos 4.2 server
(P4 3.6 2GB RAM).

-snip-

> I have about 400 Windows XP SP2 clients (not bad for a state school of 800
kids)
> which are often infested with malware, some of which are causing the Squid
service to choke.

Peter, I don't have a direct answer to your squid problem, but most/all of
your problems would 'go away' if you ran those clients as thin terminals.
If you haven't already done so, take time to check out
http://k12ltsp.org/contents.html and http://www.ltsp.org/ and they have very