[plug] Brother MFC-425CN Printer

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Sun Mar 26 23:09:00 WST 2006

> The printer will most likely have a "name" that is attached to it, much
> like all your other machines have names. If your dhcp server picks up
> the name of the machine when it assigns an IP address, you should be
> able to use the name to reference the printer. Failing this you can
> possibly set your dhcp server to assign the printer a static IP
> address, or alternatively, specifically set a static IP address on the
> printer itself and exclude this address from your dhcp server.
>
> Hope this helps,

nmap is good, but I don't want to have to manually supply the IP address
in the printer configuration.

The dhcp server is in the ADSL modem.  Is there a way to query it using
the name to get the associated IP address?

So far all attempts to use the printer's name have failed because the IP
address is not in /etc/hosts or otherwise available.

Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place.  Can CUPS (or alternative)
automatically locate network printers?

Jim