[plug] backup to DVD

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Tue Mar 28 22:31:47 WST 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 22:08 +0800, Jon Miller wrote:
> Does anyone know of a script that can backup to a DVD-RW media?  What I would like to do is run a nightly backup of samba shares Mon - Fri and rotate the disk either daily or weekly on the server.  Furthermore, if possible have the backup report the amount of space used in an e-mail sent to the backup operator.
> Would it be better to tar the data and then copy it to DVD or write directly to DVD?
>
> Thanks

What about using DAR?
It's made to create backups in chunks just the right size for CDs and
DVDs. You can set up a cron job and create the output, mail the size of
it to wherever you want and copy the backup to DVD-RW.

http://dar.linux.free.fr/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DAR_(Disk_Archiver)

Just a thought - a friend uses it all the time and is quite happy.

First law of medeival warfare:
You can't scramble for thrones without breaking a few yokels.

Linux Counter user #306629