[plug] Workshop network usage

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Tue Mar 28 23:50:56 WST 2006

Hi all,

Just a reminder that the network traffic at PLUG workshop nights
isn't entirely free - the University charges arms and souls for
traffic (4c/MB). There hasn't been a formal policy in place before,
and I don't particularly want to impose one, however if you're going
to download gigabytes of data, *please* make sure it's from a local
mirror:

- http://mirrors.uwa.edu.au/ has Debian, Ubuntu, kernels, and more.

- Mirrors on WAIX are typically free, but check with
  http://traffictester.ucc.asn.au/ to be sure

- Similarly, other sites on Internet2 might be free (depends on the
  day or week). The traffictester URL will tell you in realtime what
  is free and what's not.

PLUG is generally happy to pay for traffic for "reasonable" usage
(defined loosely, yes - use your own judgement). We'd rather not
have to implement throttling, so please be considerate. If you need
to download several hundred megabytes or gigabytes, I'd ask you to
either purchase it on CD, or befriend someone on the list to
download it on their uncapped ADSL link.

Anyway, enough from me. :)

Thanks,

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham <bernard at blackham dot com dot au>