[plug] Debain and big memory

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Thu Mar 30 16:29:59 WST 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 13:17, Carl Gherardi wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Does debian provide a precompiled kernel for machines with > 4Gb of
> memory? I've apt-cache searched with no luck so far.
>
> I'm comfortable going the "debian way" to compile and package a custom
> kernel, but would like to avoid managing that if they provide a bigmem
> type kernel
>
> TIA

An issue that i've seen is that sometimes if you are using a
particularly memory hungry application (such as rendering several live
network video feeds with zone minder) the system won't won't give more
than 1GB to the process. I don't *think* it was a kernel issue but I can
ask a person I work if you want any more information and what was done
to resolve it.

Anyway what I'm saying is that sometimes having the memory available and
letting the system decide which processes can use it can be a different
issue.

One day i'll buy a processor and motherboard (with a BIOS) that lets me
try such things that you are talking about :)

regards,

Chris