[plug] XWindows failure on Debian sarge

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Tue May 2 12:07:05 WST 2006

On Tue, 2 May 2006, Peter F Bradshaw wrote:

> Hi;
>
> Your problem seems to be in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. I suspect that you
> have a mismatch the video specified in that file and your hardware.
>
> Do you have a backuped copy of that file. If so move the present
> /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to one side and restore the backed up copy. That
> may fix your problem.
>
> In addition you may be missing some XFree86 modules.

I do not have a backup copy of the file.

In checking, the file was created when I tried to reconfigure XWindows,
to try to get it working again. It is unfortunate, that, when a new
version of the file is created, the old version is not automatically
backed up, like with some of the log files, and, like in VAX-VMS, which
used to retain up to 7 file versions.

I have just tried searching the Internet using Google, on Cyberblade/i1
and Debian sarge, and a history of problems appears to be present.

Maybe we managed to find a workaround in the past, to get the video
working. I do not remember.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale