[plug] Blacklisted mail server?

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Fri May 5 22:32:02 WST 2006

Spam and virus infected email certainly do take up far more than their
fair share of email traversing the email systems at my work.  Something
simple like a new variant of a virus can make a substantial difference
to mail flow.. the most notable example of this I've seen was Sober.Z in
November last year.  The amount of crap email that was being sent around
immediately after that started running riot was obscene.

What's rather alarming is that there is an increasing amount of spam
originating from very substantial bot nets of compromised systems (more
than likely Windows systems).  One bot net that I watched one day had in
excess of 1000 compromised hosts on it all attempting to send the same
spam email to a multitude of recipients - all of it being rejected, but
nonetheless, that's a very substantial array of compromised systems
under the control of just one spammer attempting to send a particular
spam message to recipients.

/ Ben

Adrian Woodley wrote:
> A further, scarier stat; after quick calculation (again, from 1 out of 8 mail filter servers), 34% of email sent from our customers is spam or virus (and is dropped by our filters). Hasn't Windows been great for the Internet!
>
> Adrian

<snip>