[plug] Who here uses kubuntu?

simon simon at chrome64.org
Sun May 7 11:00:29 WST 2006

Well, I made the switch.

The bad? My gfx chipset (ATI x1400) was not supported AT ALL by 5.1. I was
preparing to install a recent kernel anyway (needed for the media card reader
and wireless) so I did that, had all sorts of version problems with different
kernels and patch versions..... nearly gave up...... but got it working.

Getting GL to work was another story altogether. Sound was interesting, in
that Mandriva 2006 supported it flawlessly on older kernels but support was
broken with more recentish kernels. Had to upgrade my version of alsa to get
it working, and even now it crackles and pops a bit. Its liveable if not
exactly optimal.

The good - the packaging system rocks. And once youve enabled the 'universe'
sources, there's a good selection of recent apps. Been playing ppracer and
armagetron with decent settings. This 17" 1920x1200 LCD is just totally
awesome.

At the moment I have the wireless and media card reader working. The only
things left to do are to get suspend2 working, get the modem working
(proprietary drivers unfortunately),fix kscreensaver (has anyone seen the
problem where it refuses to start the screensaver?), configure shorewall (Ive
seen some sort of KDE integration before which was cool) and maybe make an
xinitrd which will give me a prettier boot sequence :) Oh, and to find a
karamba system monitor that supports dual CPUs.

All in all, worthwhile.

Caleb Duggan (caleb.duggan at gmail.com) wrote:

> I did use it for quite a while and it seemed good. I then decided i prefer
> gnome so i went to normal ubuntu.
>
> On Thu, 04 May 2006 19:18:56 +0800, simon <simon at chrome64.org> wrote:
>
> > Thinking of making the switch from Mandriva to kubuntu for my laptop.
> >
> > Comments?
> >
> > --
> > Simon Scott
> > simon at chrome64.org