[plug] A "plain english" breakdown of the MS XP EULA

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Mon May 8 14:31:34 WST 2006

On 5/8/06, Mike Holland <myk.list at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> Jim Householder wrote:
>
> > Seems to me that the 5 device limitation of paragraph 1.3 Device
> > Connections means that the end-user cannot legally connect to any
> > network with more than 5 devices on it.  Including the Internet...
>
> The EULA compression algorithm is not entirely lossless. How about:
>
> "You may use XP Home as a server, but are restricted to five clients
> for the following services: ...  And no cheating with NAT or proxies."
>
> Its all about market segmentation. Sell a home version cheap, but
> cripple it just enough that real businesses will buy the more expensive
> version.
>
> Does MS enforce the 5-client limit in any of their services on XP Home?
> Somehow I doubt it.

I think if you read it closer, the 5 device limit is a CLIENT limit.
Not limiting how many out going connections. So basically, for windows
file sharing, and the likes, you can only have 5 incoming connections.
I wouldn't be surprised if this was enforced.

As for the internet, as long as your not serving content, I think you
can be connected to it. But if you have a port open, like SMB... then
you break the rules.... But of course, we know how many windows boxen
ARE open.... ;-)

Tim
--
Linux Counter user #273956