[plug] firewall on SuSE SLES9

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Tue May 9 13:34:11 WST 2006

Dear PLUG list members,

Had a slight "oops" in regards to a SuSE SLES9-based server.   Did an
upgrade and one of the patches applied was for firewall.   Testing revealed
that after the patching my nice shiny ruleset was toast - server pretty
much open to the World.   Ouch.

No worries I thought... just iptables-restore < previous-saved-ruleset

But the firewall upgrade must have been more extensive, or it cannot read
previous format because now the ruleset is blank (when do iptables -L)

Is there somewhere a fresh ruleset that I can just iptables-restore from
and then start cutting my rules again?

Supplementary question... what are people using to manage firewalls - pref.
ncurses-based because I remotely admin this one and do not want to run a
gui on it if at all possible.   Would be open to running Apache though so I
suppose this opens the way for webmin and allies?

TIA,
Denis