[plug] External monitor on sony laptop

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Tue May 16 20:33:02 WST 2006

I too am happy with it, but have to use it at the moment - too flat out
to do much.

I still have to sort out those items as well - their not critical, but I
do have to something about the tiny eject button on the front of the dvd
before it drives me mad :).  I did get the display working at both
resolutions at once, but it used two screens.  This meant two
independent desktops which is not what I want (I want the same image on
both, but the external size/aspect to take precedence when needed - at
the moment a rather lousy 1024x768 is all that it will do and keep the
proportions right with an ext monitor/projector).  Currently, xorg comes
back with the modes I need to use set to zero, so I am wondering if I
have a driver/modular xorg bug.  i810switch and 915resolution were two
useful utilities.

I recompiled the system (gentoo) for the P-m arch in the background over
the weekend and I am impressed with the hardware over the dell:
faster/smoother and just seems better under load! - then again the dell
was broke at the end of its life :(

It will be 3 weeks until the pressure is off and I will have time to
fiddle - in the meantime I already like it more than the more
expensive/powerful/larger dell it replaced!

BillK