[plug] cant boot system any longer

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sat May 20 19:37:05 WST 2006

Daniel J. Axtens wrote:

> I think you do need it built-in. Otherwise, the computer won't be able
> to mount the drive to access the initrd image - if my understanding of
> kernel boot processes is correct, that is.

It is not.  The initrd is loaded by GRUB using BIOS calls, the same way
as the kernel image itself is.  This lets distributions ship identical
kernels for use with SCSI/SATA/IDE systems.  During the installation
process, an appropriate initrd is built containing the drivers required
to access the root filesystem, and then the rest is loaded from there.

Cameron