[plug] Disk space ...

Dave Dartnall darts at dialix.com.au
Sun May 21 09:49:16 WST 2006

Or rather lack of it!

Here is the output from df on my system:

Filesystem            Size    Used     Avail    Use%  Mounted on

/dev/hdb6             2.9G    255M    2.5G    10%     /
/dev/hdb1             479M   12M      443M  3%        /boot
/dev/hdb9              13G     5.5G     7.3G    43%     /home
/dev/hdb8             2.9G    2.6G     157M   95%     /usr
/dev/hdb7             7.7G    6.4G     986M   87%      /var

Obviously dumb initial partitioning - and now I've run out of room on
/usr and /var.

I read somewhere that it's possible to increase the capacity of a
partition by initialising (touching?) a file elsewhere and somehow
linking the full directory to it. There's spare room on /home and root
that maybe could be used? How is this done - if at all?

Preferably though, I'd like to install a new hard disk and transfer the
existing system with all it's settings and links etc to larger
partitions. Is this possible or is it necessary to reinstall everything?
And if possible how is it done?

Let's assume that I can install the new drive, that the system will
recognise it and that I can partition it using Mandriva's utility. What
then...

Any help / pointers would be appreciated.

Dave Dartnall