[plug] Disk space ...

Patrick Coleman blinken at gmail.com
Sun May 21 22:23:35 WST 2006

On 5/21/06, Dave Dartnall <darts at dialix.com.au> wrote:
> Or rather lack of it!
>
> Here is the output from df on my system:
>
> Filesystem            Size    Used     Avail    Use%  Mounted on
>
> /dev/hdb6             2.9G    255M    2.5G    10%     /
> /dev/hdb1             479M   12M      443M  3%        /boot
> /dev/hdb9              13G     5.5G     7.3G    43%     /home
> /dev/hdb8             2.9G    2.6G     157M   95%     /usr
> /dev/hdb7             7.7G    6.4G     986M   87%      /var
>
> Obviously dumb initial partitioning - and now I've run out of room on
> /usr and /var.

Have a look at LVM for when you get that new disk - this is more or
less what it was designed to avoid. It lets you resize mountpoints
instantly without rebooting, have partitions span multiple disks and a
lot of other neat stuff. It is integrated into the debian/ubuntu
(possibly others) partition managers.

Not-too-bad introduction:
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-lvm/

-Patrick