[plug] Updates on "Microsoft's insidious domination in Australianschools"?

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Tue May 23 00:39:47 WST 2006

   >-----Original Message-----
   >From: plug-bounces at plug.org.au [mailto:plug-bounces at plug.org.au]On
   >Behalf Of Bruce M. Axtens
   >Sent: Wednesday, 17 May 2006 23:11
   >To: plug at plug.org.au
   >Subject: [plug] Updates on "Microsoft's insidious domination in
   >Australianschools"?
   >

   >Anything new to report, Gavin?

Sorry, Bruce and everyone I am only just able read email and reply after
being without phones services for 7 days since last Sundays electrical
storms.  Bloody Telstra :-(

before, I've had phone conversations and emails on the issue with guys from
OpenSource WA to get their support and advice.  It does seem that education
policy is flexible enough for FOSS to be implemented at a local level if the
teachers/staff undertake it themselves.  The dept. does have mandatory
MS-based software for the teachers reporting requirements and admin, but
they do NOT ban FOSS as a matter of State Ed. policy.  It's just that FOSS
is NOT actively promoted as an alternative in their schools.  On the basis
of that discovery, it seems now I have to take the cause back to a local
level and oppose/confront/convert the obstructive staff member at my kid's
school.  On that front, I've been invited to speak with the Principal again
after she saw how far and wide I was escalating this matter, but I haven't
had time to do that yet.  I'll keep everyone posted of new developments,
just don't expect anything fast from me ;-)

Gavin.