[plug] New toy just arrived

meyerri meyerri at westnet.com.au
Tue May 23 16:07:31 WST 2006

---- Original Message ----
From: billk at iinet.net.au
To: plug at plug.org.au
Subject: Re: [plug] New toy just arrived
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 14:26:52 +0800

>hmm, why wait so long ...
>
>1. instantly unpack laptop and pwr supp (leave the rest for later)
>2. insert gentoo 2006.0 disk and boot
>3. go make tea
>4. configure liveCD system for your network
>5. copy suitable existing gentoo system to new machine: something
>like:
>tar -c -p -f - --exclude './usr/portage/distfiles/*' --exclude
>'./var/tmp/*' --exclude 'proc/*' .|ssh newpc 'cd /mnt/gentoo && tar
>xvpfi -'
>6. drink tea while copying
>7. configure, reboot
>8. enjoy
>9 ...

In my case what'll happen is
1) insert SUSE boot CD
2) resize Windows down to something small
3) Start installing
4) Magic smoke starts to appear from bowels of machine
5) Screen cracks from side to side
6) Flames spread to desk, engulfing desktop Linux machine, including
incidentally the Windows 2K partition I have to have to do work.
7) Employer says No work, no pay",
8) Dell says "unsupported O/S must've overstrained components -
would've worked fine with Bill G's finest - not liable"
9) Insurer says - "We weren't informed you were running experimental
hardware configs at the premises - not liable"

So what I'm doing is
1) booting Bill's wet dream - gawd XP is fouler than W2k (whish is,
incidentally not *too* bad)
2) checking that *all* components work under 'doze
3) deciding that a Synaptics pad is the invention of either the devil
or Bill Gates - for some reason I have a "heavy finger" which
transmits clicks when I'm trying to move the cursor - also the stupid
thing doesn't realise that when I tap on the touchpad with my middle
("up-yours" or proctological) finger I want a *RIGHT* click - is that
so hard?  So I've disabled taps there.

Otherwise it smells new  ;-) and feels OK.  Having it now for close
to 4 hours, I think a T43 would've been nicer. The IBM/Lenovo
keyboards are definitely nicer. It boots up with infinte speed (well
close), it even makes XP seem fast.

Give you full feedback after I install OFOS.

Cheers
RM