[plug] re installind linux

Jason Posavec jasonposavec at optusnet.com.au
Thu May 25 10:16:09 WST 2006

I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents regarding SATA drives and RedHat /
Fedora.

Red Hat is actually what drove me away from Linux temporarily for a
couple of years. It was constantly crashing, no peripherals would run on
it, yet everyone said that RedHat was the most stable and "best" of all
the distros.

During the couple of years that I went back to XP, I upgraded to a new
motherboard with only SATA drives running on it. Late last year I
discovered Ubuntu and installed that on my SATA computer with not a
glitch to date so far. I've even tinkered with running a SATA pci
expander card and had 4 SATA drives running at one stage. They just
showed up as sdc and sdd.

So my only recommendation to anyone having trouble with SATA installs is
to give Ubuntu a try and see if it's just the distro that's causing the
problems.

Jason