[plug] New toy just arrived

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Thu May 25 22:22:51 WST 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-25 at 20:31 +0800, Richard Meyer wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 21:40 +0800, Craig Dyke wrote:
> > Richard
> >
> > I am really keen to hear how you get on as I too have just laid down
> > some dollars
> > for the same machine.
> >
> > I will be most interested in how you get on getting all the different
> > pieces working,
> > especially sound, wifi and the video card.
> >
> > Craig
>
> I've had a touch of the dreaded lurgy the last couple of days, so I
> haven't done much, but I can tell you this baby is FAST - boots XP in
> about the time it takes my Athlon XP 2400+ to bring up GRUB.
>
> Why do Dell insist on loading down a defenceless little PC with GB and
> GB of crap, though. If I wanted McAfee, I would sign up for them, FFS!
>
> I have found two posts concerning the Dell Inspiron 6400 with Linux -
> here they are:
> http://individual.utoronto.ca/jaelle_kitty/inspiron6400/ with Radeon GPU
> http://jackyvuillemin.free.fr/dellinspiron6400.html  with Intel GPU
>
> The interior is wonderful, but I really think the Dell designers would
> be better spending their time designing "bling" for gangsters - it's
> gaudy.
>
> I haven't even booted a "Live-CD" sorry - ;-)

Well, I have booted the Ubuntu Breezy Live CD, and it failed pretty
dismally - will follow up later. Things have to work, since the links
above are pretty happy, but since my sinuses are being stretched like
Ron Jeremy's latest flame.  (please note I had spell checkers on, but
Linux offers no checkers for taste ....)

Also I hope you didn't fall for the "colour coded kits" - I got the med
blue one , and it's $4x worth of shiny, easily scratched coloured
plastic shell which clips over the top of the machine - never again.
Might as well stick with the aluminium coloured normal shell - oh well,
one lives and learns.