[plug] New toy closer to being usable

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sat May 27 18:32:11 WST 2006

Richard Meyer wrote:

> It does *not* see the Ricoh 5-in-1 card reader at all - no messages in
> dmesg whatsoever.

Some of the Ricoh card readers are supported, some are not.  The ones
which _are_ supported need a recent kernel (Linus's 2.6.17 will have it,
I think; Ubuntu dapper will have a 2.6.15 with the support patched in)
that has the SDHCI driver.  The ones that are supported show up as PCI
devices in lspci (either as a Ricoh card reader or a Ricoh "unknown
device"); the ones that aren't show up as a PCMCIA card in dmesg when
you plug a card in.  My laptop has one of the unsupported ones :-/

http://mmc.drzeus.cx/wiki/Linux/Drivers/sdhci has the gory details and
a copy of the driver if you want to try building it yourself.

Cameron