[plug] shared /home for dual-booting two distros

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Tue May 30 18:29:41 WST 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-30 at 17:49 +0800, Meyer wrote:

> [...]

-snip-

> Yes, but seeing you're keeping the distro secret we can't tell you
> exactly how. ;-)

Oh alright, if you must know I've been using FC3 (now FC4) but now I'm
trying out SuSE and am seriously considering swapping ;-)  I've tried a
few others, but SuSE does it for me at the moment :-).  Mostly, I like
the range of apps that it comes with so I don't have to endure lots of
extra downloads on dialup.  Then there is the very logical way that the
distro is organised, yadayada ...

> Yes you could get yourself horribly tangled up between releases of
> KDE, Evolution, Firefox, maybe even OOo, and I was going to mention
> it. If you DO want to mount your /home to another distro, it might be
> a good idea to create your username on distro2 to be something
> different to the username on distro1.

Thanks, Richard.  That's a suggestion that I hadn't thought about.
Also, thanks for confirming the complexity of it all :-(  OTOH, for this
'trial' period dual-booting 2 distros, I will probably just copy across
any files/docs/spreadsheets/etc that I generate in one /home - or just
access them as needed from each partition to do work on them.  I had
this fanciful notion that I could simplify things with one /home, but
the mechanics of it aren't worth it.

Gavin.