[plug] how do I restore desktop settings

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Wed May 31 12:14:30 WST 2006

<sheepish> Newbie question-of-the-day:

I'm using FC4 with GDM (pretty sure) for graphical login and I have lost
all my desktop tweaks for all KDE, Gnome, IceWM and Xfce by accidentally
choosing 'reset desktop' at the session login screen.  Groan.  How do I
restore my customised settings?

I know that all my settings are there, but they appear gone when logging
in.  For  example, evolution treats me like a new user, whereas I can
see in my /home that the two accounts I had setup and received mail on
are still there.  Ditto firefox and all its newly installed extensions -
all gone (well, just not available after login anymore).

I know it's one of those fundamental things one should know, but I've
never been in this spot before, so .... Help!!

A supplementary question to the above is where do I look to edit the
login session menu that GDM offers?

In my GDM menu I have always seen repeats of session options (eg., more
than one option of choosing IceWM) and I want to remove that dreaded
'reset desktop' option altogether.  Begone, I say!  ;-)

Thanks people,

Gavin