[plug] Edgy Eft available

Shannon Carver shannon.carver at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 09:31:31 WST 2006

My experience is similar to Senectus's.  My major gripe with Dapper, was
even with a new install on a brand new machine (Core2Duo (Merom) 2.0Ghz with
2GB RAM), start time just seemed a little too long.  Even cutting boot
services and improving network mounts didn't help.

The upgrade to Edgy changed all this instantly.  Time from Boot to GDM Login
screen was approximately 3 minutes in dapper, its about 30-60 seconds in
Edgy (I did some optimising of boot services after Edgy Upgrade too, so that
may have improved start times slightly too).

Upgrade experiences were pretty much fine.  I had the same problem with X
(nVidia drivers breaking was the cause) that many other have noticed from
apt-get dist-upgrade, but a simple apt-get nvidia-glx reinstall fixed the
problem.

The Ubuntu Wiki has correct upgrade procedure, but I've heard the easiest
way is letting aptitude do the work for you:
"aptitude dist-upgrade"

Bernard is right about Beryl too.  I'd been running Compiz/XGL up until
about a month ago and installed Beryl on my Dapper install.  Eye candy is
delicious, with a front end/theme manager that handles everything for you as
well.  No more messing around with GConf and config files.  Needless to say,
Beryl looks fantastic.  It's not over the top, and with a couple of annoying
quirks turned off (time based wobble/blur everytime I got an MSN message in
an inactive window was a bit much) its fantastic.. A must have in my
opinion.

Cheers!