[plug] Linux webbrower plugin for PDB files?

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Wed Nov 1 20:41:27 WST 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 18:20 +0800, Bernd Felsche wrote:
> caston at arach.net.au writes:
>
> >Unfortunately there is no chime plugin for Linux and I don't feel
> >like splashing out for crossover.
>
> >One of the websites I am using to learn organic chem has all of its
> >molecules in pdb format.
>
> It is Protein Database... guessing from the context.

No it is:

http://www.chem.ucalgary.ca/courses/351/Carey/Carey.html

> AFAICT, that's basically plain text. Unless the TLA has been
> overloaded far, far too much.
>
> Check out http://molvis.sdsc.edu/visres/molvisfw/titles.jsp
> Chimera looks promising... Python-based so you could control a
> single main session with externals that are "plugins" in a browser.
> I'll stop waving my hands now lest I be asked to do it. :-)

I didn't know py could do that but I suspect i'd be creeping my scope to
try and do that now. Probably best to wait until the holidays.

There is also a pymol application. That Chimera looks outstanding
though. I saw it in apt but never tried installing it.

> >I can save them locally and view them using a few different apps
> >with viewmol being my preferred or have have konq associate the
> >format with viewmol.
>
> >Is there anyway I can view these straight in the webbrowser? At the
>
> You'd need at least some sort of custom plugin or the "association".
>
> >moment konq will open the files in viewmol but this sucks hard when
> >I got to a page with about 10 organic molecules.
>
> What sort of rating do you give it in terms of nPa absolute
> pressure? :-)

1.96133e+15