[plug] Creating multiple-page PDFs from scanned images

Alex Nordstrom lx at se.linux.org
Sat Nov 4 16:04:56 WST 2006

I'm at the end of a four-year university course, during which I have
accumulated enough papers to deforest a small country. Because I'd like
to keep my life as paperless as possible, I'm now in the process of
scanning as much of it as possible to store it digitally.

To this end, I'd like some ideas on how best to collate scans of
multiple individual pages into PDFs.

So far, what I've been doing is to scan the pages with Kooka, drag the
image files into an Open Office document with no margins, manually
anchor each image as characters (apparently, you can't do multiple ones
or make this the default) so that they don't just end up on top of one
another, and finally export the document to PDF.

I'm thinking there has to be an easier way. I work with Debian Sid and
KDE, but command-line based solutions and GTK are welcome too. I don't
mind solutions involving simple shell scripts, but I'd rather avoid
stuff that requires custom compilation and the headaches of keeping
such things up to date.

convert * document.pdf (from ImageMagick) looked like a promising
solution, but took nine minutes of thrashing to produce a 4.7 MiB file
from nine PNG files which took up 1.3 MiB before conversion. If anyone
has any ideas on how to overcome this, I'm listening.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/