[plug] Creating multiple-page PDFs from scanned images

Russell russellsteicke at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 19:32:42 WST 2006

On 11/4/06, Alex Nordstrom <lx at se.linux.org> wrote:
> To this end, I'd like some ideas on how best to collate scans of
> multiple individual pages into PDFs.

The easiest way is to find a photocopier that will scan the documents
and email you the PDF.  A Ricoh machine I use occasionally scans a
seven page doc (with text probably a little sparser than usual) into a
250k PDF, when set to scan text for OCR.

Sorry if that's no help at all.

> convert * document.pdf (from ImageMagick) looked like a promising
> solution, but took nine minutes of thrashing to produce a 4.7 MiB file
> from nine PNG files which took up 1.3 MiB before conversion. If anyone
> has any ideas on how to overcome this, I'm listening.

The biggest problem here is likely to be the bit depth of the embedded
images (TIFFs?) in the PDF file.  That's where I'd be looking for a
solution.  If your documents are all black text on white paper, you
probably only need monochrome.

--
Virus found in this message, somewhere.  But we're not going to tell you where.