[plug] Burning DVD's Drifts Time

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 19:38:34 WST 2006

> I have a few pointers but nothing concrete (probably not what you
> wanted to hear). Firstly, enabling DMA on the device if it isn't
> already may help speed/interrupts issues.

I think you hit it on the head. I can't believe I didn't check this!!!
I think I'm used to hdparm doing it's stuff at boot, and the newer
kernel settings being really good (i.e. AFAIK, all my HDD's come up
with DMA enabled). A quick check shows the Optical drives didn't have
DMA enabled. I've now enabled it, will tweak them a bit and give it
another test!!

> The only other idea I have
> is to ensure you're using the correct kernel IDE driver for your
> chipset, and not those horrible (but highly compatible) generic ones.
> I had a laptop working horrible slow to due using the generic drivers
> and had similar issues to what you're getting (except the mouse was
> the bad boy in this scenario -- seizing etc for periods of time, no
> clock drift though). I fixed it by custom compiling a kernel with the
> ide drivers for that chipset built in (the older Sarge kernel didn't
> support this chipset variant at the time) and suddenly speed picked up
> by magnitudes. You may try that.

I'll have a look into that as well. My chipset is NForce4, and from
memory, I think I selected something along those lines in my .config
when I compiled the kernel. I'll have a check, but I think DMA was the
culprit!

Thanks heaps Tomasz!

Tim
--