[plug] Dying Samba Server

Daniel Pearson (Flashware Solutions) daniel at flashware.net
Mon Nov 6 19:17:21 WST 2006

Tomasz Grzegurzko wrote:

>> Dead HDD? :(
>
> Probably. Or RAM. But given the DMA stuff I'd be looking at the HDD
> quite squarely. You did back up and stuff after I suggested it could
> be that before right? =)
>
> Tomasz
I ended up ghosting onto a spare drive, then running fdisk /mbr from a
Win 98 boot floppy (as GRUB wouldn't start up..), and then all was good.

Ran Seagate's utility on the drive, showed it as being no good, so
getting that RA'd now.. Going to dump in a second hard drive now, and
RSync to it every night.

Was lucky this time, but maybe next time I won't be.. so will follow a
strict backup routine :)