[plug] Reinforcement for the Ubuntu fans

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Mon Nov 6 22:02:15 WST 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 21:47 +0800, Gavin Chester wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 20:50 +0800, Richard Meyer wrote:
> > I was reading a blog of a guy who is in charge of gazillions of
> > teraflops of Linux goodness - he blogs about Linux, and he just moved
> > his desktop from FC to Ubuntu.
> >
> > Worth reading to reinforce your prejudices.  ;-)
> >
> > I read it, and I'm sorta tempted to try the the Eft.
>
> Flame attraction warning:
>
> Two BIG things I can't abide that have turned me off Ubuntu and most of
> its children:  1/ the only default desktop is gnome and gnome REALLY
> went wrong a few years ago when it decided to dumb-down all user options
> and hide them away; 2/ I've never had so few options givven to me to
> customise an install as when I gave Ubuntu a try - ie, more gnome-style
> dumbing-down, sadly.
>
> Just my $0.05, but those are two killer issues for me that saw me try
> Ubuntu and Edubuntu and spit the dummy on them despite all the good they
> offer :-(
>
> Gavin

apt-get install kde-desktop may have taken care of that ... :-)

.. and I agree the Gnome desktop has become silly.

But in terms of "just getting things to work", the man stands by Ubuntu
(until next week, when something better comes along).

There are II types of people - those who can count like Romans and
those who can't.

Linux Counter user #306629