[plug] iiNet job on Seek

Tomasz Grzegurzko tomasz89 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 12:22:39 WST 2006

On 11/9/06, Gavin Chester <sales at ecosolutions.com.au> wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 11:55 +0800, Tomasz Grzegurzko wrote:
> > > Just for my curiosity, what would you expect to get in a job such as
> > > that?
> > >
> > > Gavin
> > >

> > If you're asking me specifically, I wasn't going for that job but a
> > totally different one..
> > Still Linux based though -- like I said cool stuff, really what drew
> > me to apply there.
>
> Are you avoiding the question because discussion of salaries is a
> sensitive issue ;-) ;-)
>
> I'm curious to know what sort of salary seems fair for IT positions
> expecting a degree and several years experience.  What would have made
> you happy to take a position, money-wise?  Anyone can chip in with
> answers, I'm certainly not singling Tomasz out into the spotlight :-)
>
> Gavin

Okay I was a little sensitive but given the information is now old (>1
year I think now) I suppose I can divulge. If iiNet are doing things
the same way now, then I know nothing about it.

I was going in for a network admin kind of job. The feeling I got was
not a junior or senior position (right in between). They wanted Cisco
certs (which I don't have), Linux (I have skills but no "official"
certs), 24hr roster, and make me responsible for 40,000 connections.
Also some side programming stuff (perl and other Linux based stuff
like bash and who knows what more) as well as telephony (PABX, voip).
I've had experience at an ISP, plus a degree. My initial wage was to
be ~$32k but with certs and once I start working on the 24hr roster
would go up to <$40k. At the time, I had a 9-5 working helpdesk (okay
that sucks) but making >$40k and having a *real* easy time of it. I
asked them for >$50k in the interview once I found out about the job
(they made no mention of wages otherwise). On the phone call they gave
me before the interview, I asked for a suggested wage of ~$50k before
I found out more about the responsibility and 24hr roster stuff so I
thought if they don't give at least 55 I'm outta here. Mainly the 24hr
stuff scared me off to be honest -- I'm not a night person =)

For a programming job, requiring a decent amount of skill (and this
one sounds like it) I'd say at least >$40k for someone like myself.
'Course that depends on the person, for me I'm worth every penny hehe.

Cheers,
Tomasz