[plug] iiNet job on Seek

Tomasz Grzegurzko tomasz89 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 12:54:26 WST 2006

On 11/9/06, Gavin Chester <sales at ecosolutions.com.au> wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 12:27 +0800, Tomasz Grzegurzko wrote:
>
> -snip lots of useful answer -
>
> > > For a programming job, requiring a decent amount of skill (and this
> > > one sounds like it) I'd say at least >$40k for someone like myself.
> > > 'Course that depends on the person, for me I'm worth every penny hehe.
>
> Thanks for such a comprehensive answer.  I am surprised that salary
> levels aren't what I had expected them to be - falling short by a long
> way.  I'm a life-sciences graduate and the salaries you quote are on par
> with what people in my field could expect for comparable
> seniority/experience.  I had suffered under the delusion that IT with
> good degree(s) and several years experience could easily expect
> $150K-$250K.  So is that only the few lucky to work freelance, or
> what?
>
> > > Cheers,
> > > Tomasz
> > >

> > Sorry for THIS job they want heaps of skills and I agree with Shannon.
> > I was talking more generically about programming.
>
> And, thanks to you for your input, Shannon.  I must say, you have put me
> in my place regarding my expectations of IT salaries :-(.  The reason
> for my curiosity is because my wife often says "you spend so much
> god-damn time on that computer, why don't you put it to _real_ use and
> retrain in IT to bring home decent money!"  :-)  Maybe not, eh?
>
> Gavin.

I've job hopped a lot since leaving uni and the perception that
there's "heaps" of money out there is mostly baloney from what I've
seen (and actively worked in). But then, I admit to self-imposed
limitations as I don't work on M$ systems anymore these days...

And yes I totally get that about the input from the significant other
-- my girlfriend seems to think I should be rolling in the kinds of
salaries you're talking about. I was saying "Look I've looked around
heaps and it just isn't there! Or at least they number very much in
the few". So I'm with you on that one.

Tomasz