[plug] Semi OT - OS X "Network Discovery" and SLP

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 22:24:49 WST 2006

On 11/9/06, W.Kenworthy <billk at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 11:53 +0800, W.Kenworthy wrote:
> > > > >

> > Have a look at "dirvish" rather than pure rsync for server initiated
> > pull backups (http://www.dirvish.org).  Advantages are that its space
>

> Replying to myself: apparently dirvish can pull from a doze client
> running an rsync server. Sweet!

I have researched all the backup systems.
I'm sure I mentioned it in a previous email. I'm using rdiff-backup,
which is /like/ rsync. It too uses ssh as the "pipe" and a rsync style
protocol to only transfer differences in files. Unlike dirvish, it's
more space efficient, in that it stores diff's of the file
differences, instead of copying the whole new file. I was initially
looking at dirvish, but would have to recommend rdiff-backup to you.
Give it a try, in my experience, it uses less space, and is as fast,
if not faster.

The only advantage I see dirvish having, is that it's trivial to
browse any revision in the backup. For rdiff-backup, you browse the
newest version, and using the rdiff tools, can easily access older
versions. I find that with rdiffWeb, it's extremely easy to browse,
and restore the current and older revisions.

YMMV

Tim
--
Linux Counter user #273956