[plug] LVM problem

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Fri Nov 10 04:17:05 WST 2006

Hi

I have a serious disk problem.  I installed FC5 and accepted the
default disk partitioning - LVM.  First time I've used it, and may be
the last for a while.

I was logged in and browsing, nowhere near root, when I decided to
reboot.  Massive errors related to read-only file system - files in
/var could not be deleted, etc.

Now when I boot, the kernel is uncompressed:

Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
Red Hat nash version 5.0.32 starting
  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while..
  Found volume group "VolGroup00" using metadata type lvm2
  2 logical volume(s) in volume group "VolGroup00" now active
EXT3-fs error (device dm-0): ext3_check_descriptors: Block bitmap for
group 0 not in group (block 3925999616)!
EXT3-fs: group descriptors corrupted !
mount: error mounting /dev/root on /sysroot as ext3: Invalid argument

Any suggestions as to how to proceed?

TIA
Jim