[plug] iiNet job on Seek

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sat Nov 11 13:35:12 WST 2006

from the teaching CCNA side, its evident that its not so simple and easy
for most people.  I would suggest that those who discount the worth of
CCNA/CCNP do so only after passing.  Consider also that CCNA/CCNP is not
just a cert, but also an entry level program of study, and is valid for
only 3 years before retesting.

Large numbers of students start the CCNA training, but relatively few
actually sit the final tests for various reasons - this makes it a major
filter.

There are those who just want some networking skills so they dont care
for the cert itself, and those who dont make the grade for whatever
reasons (usually commitment to study - which gives a good idea of what
they might be like in the workplace)

There are quite a few who arrive with confidence - "I know everything
there is to know about networking - just give me the cert" - they often
sink when tested. Yes this happens (often!, and the answer is NO, you
have to earn it!), "you cant teach me anything new" so I wont bother
studying" (until they dont do well at the tests!)

Are the CCN[AP] certs relevant to what people actually do? I think so.
They are Cisco specific, but contain a lot of generic knowledge that is
common (I have experience with 3COM - this a while ago admittedly, and
Cisco training).  I would think that many in the workplace will only use
a subset of the skills, and through experience know that subset very
well.  When they move on to a new job with a different skillset, they
have the basics and should be able to cope.

My thoughts are that the whole certs/is Uni of value argument founders
when you consider major companies like iinet are apparently paying
peanuts for relatively high skill/qualification levels for graduates and
others will pay far more for skilled, but unqualified people.  This is a
badly distorted market.  I see comments where individuals disparage the
state of skills "out there" - but dont see the worth of certs and the
like as a means of sorting out those who know their stuff, and those who
dont.  Until the whole question of professional qualifications is
settled (whose, what and what standards) and regulation along the lines
of other professional groups (like medical, architects and the like) is
sorted out this is going to continue.  Bodies like ACS and others need
to to push this barrow harder.

BillK

On Sat, 2006-11-11 at 10:39 +0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 11, 2006, Glen Lewis wrote:
>
> > I did my CCNA/CCNP a few years ago now.  I was disappointed by how easy
> > and straightforward the CCNP actually was.  It certainly dropped my
> > opinion of the guys waving it around, but it's increasingly turning up
> > as a requirement for employment, and if it's going to get you an extra
> > $20k, then why not.
> >
> > CCIE on the other hand is a real commitment ...
>
> Still? Good. I heard a few annoyed network engineers getting pissed off
> that CCIE is heading towards the "I learnt it from a book" mentality.
> I'm glad to hear it ain't the case (and it gives me something to
> work towards!)
>

> Adrian

Home!