[plug] configuring Xorg so I can use a digital projector.

Sol Hanna sol.hanna at three.com.au
Sun Nov 12 17:38:29 WST 2006

Hi all,

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 running (Ed)Ubuntu Edgy Eft and I have an
Epson EMP-TW20 digital projector. Both are quite new and working. But
not with each other. :(

I've been searching the net (esp. ubuntuforumsorg) for some idea of how
to configure Xorg to get video output to the projector. I would also
like to use the projector at school, and so far as I'm aware, this
should not be a problem provided that the projectors have the same
default resolution (which they do == 800x600px).

My "Screen Resolution" chooser in GNOME gives me a choice of 1280x800
and 1024x768. I've installed a package called i810switch based on the
advice from this post:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=145092&highlight=digital
+projector

I'm sure I need to edit xorg.conf, but not sure how. Does anyone have
any idea?

thankyou; sol

PS: Below is some of my xorg.conf
---

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Intel Corporation Mobile Integrated Graphics
Controller"
        Driver          "i810"
        BusID           "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
        Option          "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Device          "Intel Corporation Mobile Integrated Graphics
Controller"
        Monitor         "Generic Monitor"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           1
                Modes           "1280x800"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           4
                Modes           "1280x800"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           8
                Modes           "1280x800"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           15
                Modes           "1280x800"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           16
                Modes           "1280x800"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           24
                Modes           "1280x800"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Default Layout"
        Screen          "Default Screen"
        InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
        InputDevice     "Configured Mouse"
        InputDevice     "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
        InputDevice     "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"
        InputDevice     "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"
        InputDevice     "Synaptics Touchpad"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Mode    0666