[plug] DVD "encrypted"

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Tue Nov 14 10:10:36 WST 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 09:50 +0800, Gavin Chester wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 00:48 +0800, Kev wrote:
> > Richard Meyer wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I need a bit of advice. I am running OpenSUSE 10.1, and have SMART
> > > installed to do all the hard work for me.
> > >
> > > I have got Xine working with "libdvdcss2-1.2.9-1" and it works perfectly
> > > for every DVD I've tried - EXCEPT for "The meaning of Life" - it tells
> > > me that is encrypted.

I just realised that my lengthy previous reply applied to burning, but
the same outcome I described applies to playing, which is more
appropriate to your original post, Richard :-)  In the playing stakes,
I've tried kaffeine (which is a xine frontend, anyway) xine, mplayer
(both with and without gui) and vlc.  I find the last is the most
'flexible' and solid with handling different quality of media and
encryption, but even that spits the dummy on certain discs.  I find
disney and bbc discs the most harsh on my system.