[plug] Skype

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Thu Nov 16 14:21:54 WST 2006

Bruce M. Axtens wrote:
> My brother is running Skype (1.3.0.53 API) on Linux (Fedora Core 6) with
> a (firestarter 1.0.3) firewall.
>
> He's just asked me, "my firewall goes ballistic whenever I fire up
> skype, blocking the program from contacting hundreds of extra 'unknown'
> ports, why?"
>
> Anyone got any idea what's happening?

Sure.. Skype is "peer to peer" it shoots connections all over the place on all manner of port
numbers. That is why it's a bit harder to block than other VOIP stuff (not that the telecoms
provider here has not managed it!)

If your machine has the required connectivity, Skype becomes a supernode and then the fun *really*
starts.

Brad