[plug] [Rant/Cry for Help] SSH SO SLOW

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 15:50:00 WST 2006

> What about plain vanilla ftp? Why encrypt at all? Surely even Mac
> supports a little known protocol called FTP?

Hmmm, so it does :p

I guess I forgot to mention that I do need some sort of remote command
facility, as it's a little like rsync, in that it only transfers the
differences. (rdiff-backup is very nice).
I think rsh would do what I need, which under Debian, by default is
redirected to ssh :(

I think I'll just have to put up with arcfour as my default cipher.
It's just during the initial backup that I'm worried, and I might be
able to use rsync then, IF I can get a version on the mac supporting
resource forks. Otherwise, it may turn out a bit funny. I'll work
something out, or just have it take a number of hours for the initial
backup :p

Thanks

Tim
--