[plug] Skype

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Thu Nov 16 18:28:55 WST 2006

Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 16, 2006, Brad Campbell wrote:
>
>> If your machine has the required connectivity, Skype becomes a supernode
>> and then the fun *really* starts.
>
> Just in case noone gets that: they make money off you..

That is one way to look at it. I also chose to look at it another way.

Prior to it being blocked by the monopoly provider over here, Skype allowed the majority of the
population (Indian and Pakistani construction workers) who earn about the equivalent of $280 AUD per
month to be able to stay in touch with their friends and family back home quite economically (read
that as it allowed them to phone home *and* eat that month). To achieve that often requires the use
of a supernode or two. So while you can reason that they make money from you (they do), you also
benefit from their network and topology. If you use Skype then you are deriving benefit from their
network, be it pc-pc for free, or pc-landline for far cheaper than you would pay using most other
methods.

You wanna use the network, you need to give something back.

Up until about 12 weeks ago, Skype was the _only_ VOIP solution that made it through the countries
extensive censoring firewall. Then they got that as well. I can still use it if I tunnel the login
server protocol over a vpn to a machine outside the country, but it's a pain.

There are a number of documents out there that detail how to prevent your machine becoming a
supernode if you so desire (if you pay for your bandwidth it's a REAL good idea).

Brad