[plug] Using a HDD with Badsectors

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sun Nov 26 11:39:29 WST 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-26 at 08:15 +0800, Timothy White wrote:
> I have a 80Gb HDD from my sisters computer, that had developed some
> bad sectors (2-4). It was undecided the reason for them developing was

Try reiserfs on it.  I had an 1.2gbyte in my daughters machine for a
year or so - collected quite a number (roughly at a constant rate, each
week) of bad sectors over this time which reiserfs handled quite
transparently.  I could not even install windows on either fat or ntfs.
With gentoo, ext2/3 lasted roughly a week before a major crash (ext2/3
always ends in tears for me anyway - I will only use it for
non-essential data these days :).  But reiserfs would go for months and
I'd fsck it when the whim took me. Ive had a number of hardware failures
on systems running reiser, even an ide cable falling out of one disk in
a striped pair (linux software raid) without losing much if anything!
Give it a go.

BillK