[plug] Using a HDD with Badsectors

Mark J Gaynor mark at mjg.id.au
Mon Nov 27 12:30:35 WST 2006

--------  snip  -----------
>The problem relates to the need to remove heat that's inevitably
>produced by the equipment when operating.
>
>Unless you're buying real, server-class hardware, it's rare to find
>equipment that's designed and built for optimum heat dissipation.
>And it's a marvel to behold consumer installations of heat-sensitive
>equipment.

This was what I was eluding to without an in depth explanation, the
majority of people have never worked in a conditioned environment
where things start to happen once the heat exchange begins to fail.

Consumer goods are designed to fail and usually do just after the
warranty has expired. I don't believe its worth the trouble for $60-70
and your time at the same $60-70 per hour to rectify things.

My experience with drives starting to give errors is to go get a new
device before total failure occurs and you loose all the data on that
drive. Time is money and is something a lot of hobbyists don't
calculate into the cost.

Bottom line for me is once a drive starts to fail, you look at the
replacement process as soon as possible.

Mark