[plug] Using a HDD with Badsectors

Shannon Carver shannon.carver at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 13:59:27 WST 2006

I've found when on the search for fans eBay or any of the Electronics type
places are a LOT better than any of the computer stores, apart from maybe
dedicated CPU fan installs.  I got a box of 20x 12/240V 120mm Fans a while
ago from eBay for $5.  As is often the case for cheap items, postage was
more expensive than the cost of the item.

But I've used them all over the place, and they've proved to be very handy.

Back sort of on-topic, replacing the drives is the best way to solve the
problem, as others have mentioned.  I've just replaced a 4x60GB RAID-0 IDE
Array recently.  Oddly enough, all four drives (Western Digital WD60
Caviars), had a warranty of 3 years, and they've survived without an issue
since 2001.  To add to that they've been in my stinking hot
non-airconditioned study with no proper cooling the whole time.

Of course, nowadays, the ridiculously cheap cost of upgrade with the
increased size/speed makes keeping such an array a stupid idea.  But just
wanted to add that IDE drives don't *ALWAYS* fail before/near their warranty
expiry even when run in far less than perfect conditions.