[plug] Using a HDD with Badsectors

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 13:59:56 WST 2006

On 11/27/06, Adrian Chadd <adrian at creative.net.au> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 27, 2006, Bernd Felsche wrote:
>
> > It doesn't matter btw how cold your server room. I've seen people
> > put solid rack panels in front of _obvious_ cooling air inlets to
> > servers... and cook half a dozen drives within a month.
>
> You should see what I do to web cache disk arrays.. :)

Chuck on heaps of water cooling, and use it as part of the "Linux can
even make your Coffee" program?

Actually, I'd be interested in seeing peoples temperature graphs.
My Desktop (about to have better cooling setup)
http://linuxalien.ath.cx/munin/white.lan/linjeni.white.lan-hddtemp_smartctl.html
My new server (about to get 2 more HDD's, one is currently in the old
server mounted over NFS, and one is the new one)
http://linuxalien.ath.cx/munin/white.lan/myoxa.white.lan-hddtemp_smartctl.html
If you look around my munin graphs, you'll probably also find the old
server, which has no monitoring happening anymore, but you can see the
temperatures anyway.
Oh, and the jump to 240C, is when I put the drives in the oven for awhile :p JK

Tim
--
Linux Counter user #273956
Don't email joeblogs at scouts.org.au