[plug] Daylight Rubbish

Jonathan Young jonathan at pcphix.com
Mon Nov 27 22:44:12 WST 2006

Cameron Patrick wrote:
> Timothy White wrote:
>

>> The question I have is, what about people syncing with NTP? Do we need
>> new zone files? Or because they sync based on UTC time, we need new
>> zone files.
>>

> You will still need new zone files.  NTP syncs on UTC, which is the only
> sane way to do things.  (Not that UTC is particularly sane anyway -
> hello leap seconds at unpredictable times!)
I currently admin a few Linux boxes.  Mainly (in fact mostly) Debian.
All here in WA.

My forte is Windows, but I have some idea what I'm doing.  It's just
with the Linux boxes, I rarely have to DO anything at all!

Can anyone suggest what steps one should be taking prior to and during
the changeover to make sure this goes smoothly?

In particular,

(1)  What needs to be updated and where to I get it?
(2)  How do I make the changes take effect and does it matter if people
are working on the network at the time?
(3)  How critical is it and what checks do I need to be making / what
should I watch out for in particular?

Also, a question I think I know the answer to... What happens if you
just change the clock in the BIOS during a reboot?

All answers / tips are appreciated.

--
Jonathan Young
Director of PC-PHIX