[plug] Eft help needed with time

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Tue Nov 28 11:20:41 WST 2006

Richard Meyer wrote:

> On the same old, same old topic of time and NTP and DST, I installed
> Edgy on a machine over the weekend, and it's nice , BUT I can't find
> where to adjust the time so that it knows it is running on local time,
> rather than on UTC. My time zones are fine, except I'm 8 hours ahead.

What Adrian set (to make sure your system knows the right time zone),
and also look in /etc/default/rcS if you don't want your CMOS clock to
be set to UTC (or do want it to, and it's not).  Note that this affects
the timezone that the CMOS clock uses, not what the kernel thinks the
time is.  If your system is syncing to NTP and is only running one
operating system, the setting doesn't matter.

Cameron