[plug] [Fwd: Fwd: [Fwd: Response from ATO re ECI]]]

Nikhil Jogia plug at nikhiljogia.com
Tue Nov 28 16:49:27 WST 2006

Interesting....though I can see why the ATO is hesitant to produce a
Linux version - if only one or two hundred businesses will use it, then
it would probably be cheaper to buy those businesses a copy of Windows
at say $100 per copy.

However, most small businesses would use their PC for email, web,
office/productivity apps and some even their BAS statements. The way MS
is pricing its products for businesses nowadays, there'd be a lot of
small businesses making the switch to Linux, especially with the
promotion of web standards, ODF and Open Document formats, as well as
the nice eye candy that comes with many distros.

That said, being written in Java they should have made an effort for it
to be cross platform to start off with. I know they have an OSX version,
why not a Linux version? I dare say, if you exclude the graphic design
and related industries, there's an equal amount of businesses using
Linux than Mac for their desktops.

In any case, the ECI software is painful at best - they really should
have made it, along with etax 100% web based. I find it crazy I am able
to transfer $30K per day on the web through online banking, yet have to
go through the ECI software to lodge a BAS.